Nothing defines you as a telemarketer or salesperson faster than opening your call with "How are you today?" If you want to separate yourself from the competition, it's time to try something new. Mike Brooks, Mr. Inside Sales, has come up with some openers that will allow you to connect with your prospect and start the sales relationship. Try these out for yourself, and let us know the results!
Mike suggests you use any of the following after you give your name and company name:
1. "Can you hear me OK?" This opening does a number of things A - it elicits a yes response, B - it gets them saying yes, and it gets them to really listen. Not a bad way to start the call.
2. "Happy Monday!" (or Wednesday, or Thursday - whatever day it is). You get a lot of traction with this opening, and it really opens your prospect up.
3. "Is it raining there, too?" (or hot, or foggy, etc.). Immediately connecting with your prospect on an issue unrelated to sales really gets them talking and takes the pressure off.
4. "I'm so glad I reached you, I need a little bit of help. Are you the person who handles XYZ?..." This is a great technique because you immediately make them feel important. Works every time.
5. "How's your day going?" This is the alternative to "How are you today," and it only works if you are sincere and you actually listen to how their day is going. Please, listen and respond accordingly.
So there you have it - five openings that will separate you from your competition when cold calling a prospect.
"Have fun with these," suggests Brooks. "Vary them and find the one you're most comfortable with. But most of all, use them. Believe me, your prospect will be happy you did, and so will you!"
Mike Brooks, Mr. Inside Sales, specializes in helping sales reps avoid rejection and make more money. Check out his free ezine at http://www.mrinsidesales.com/ezine.htm